Saturday, February 28, 2009

When You Wish Upon a Star


I don't remember the last time I watched Pinocchio. It wasn't a favorite of mine as a child - I was a huge fan of Peter Pan, and demanded to watch those instead of the Princess films. When I heard Pinocchio was returning on DVD, I was excited to see a movie that I hadn't seen in such a long time, a Disney film I haven't watched over and over again.

The 70th Anniversary release of Pinocchio is absolutely wonderful. The movie looks more beautiful than ever, with the animation cleaned up and better restored. And this fact helps to illuminate how truly beautiful the animation of Pinocchio is. Disney's second full-length animated feature, the animators at the Studio had more knowledge than ever before on what worked and what didn't on the screen, and took risks with the production. A talking cricket who narrates the story?

The true stars on this release, however, are the special features. My favorite is "The Making of Pinocchio: No Strings Attached". This nearly hour-long documentary focuses on the importance of Pinocchio from an animation and filmmaking standpoint, as well as comparison of the original story to the Disney version. There's also some interesting live action reference footage, and dozens of production, development, and publicity footage to check out.

Pinocchio: 70th Anniversary Edition comes to a store near you March 10th!

No comments:

Post a Comment